I love incorporating pies into my annual celebratory feasts. Whether it is Pumpkin Pie on Thanksgiving or Apple Pie on the 4th of July, you can find me indulging in at least one slice of goodness every single holiday. Luckily, these comforting classics can be prepared with plant-based ingredients without compromising on taste or flavor. Yes, we’re talking about pies that are good for the environment and will still satisfy your sweet tooth –– call that an epic win!
One of my go-to plant-based pie recipes is an Apple and Cherry Pie. This immaculate dish tastes like fall with the strong cinnamon, sweet apples, and syrupy cherries. While it’s perfect for an after-dinner treat on a cool, autumn evening or as another side dish for Thanksgiving, this is also a great one to bring to your Memorial Day Barbeque. Trust me when I say it’ll please crowds and satisfy taste buds.
This recipe makes one 9-inch pie that can serve six to eight individuals, but if you’re really craving a scrumptious treat, it can totally be eaten in one sitting. Bon appétit!
Vegan Apple and Cherry Pie
Graham Cracker Crust
● 1 ¼ cups graham crackers, crushed
● ⅛ cup granulated sugar
● ⅛ cup brown sugar
● 5 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
Apple and Cherry Pie Filling
● 5 large apples, skinned, cored, and sliced very thin
● 2 cans of vegan cherry pie filling
● 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
● 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
● 1 tsp vanilla extract
● 1 tbsp cinnamon
● 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
● 1/2 tsp ground ginger
● 1 tbsp vegan butter, chilled
● 1 cup granola
● ⅛ tbsp cinnamon
● ¼ cup walnuts, chopped finely
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter. Mix until it forms a buttery, crumbly texture.
- Press the crust mixture into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Place in the oven to bake for 6-8 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Set the pie crust aside to cool while preparing the apple and cherry filling.
- In a stovetop over medium heat, combine the thinly sliced apples in a bowl with the cherry pie filling, arrowroot powder, vanilla extract, and spices.
- Stir continuously until the apple and cherry mixture begins to bubble.
- Reduce the heat slightly and allow the fruit mixture to cook down to a dark, thick consistency. Continue to stir consistently throughout this process, it will take 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the apple cider vinegar.
- Allow the mixture to cool off the stove, at room temperature, for at least 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, transfer the apple and cherry filling into the prepared graham cracker crust.
- In another pan on low heat, toast the cup of granola along with the chopped walnuts for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle the toasted granola along with the chopped walnuts on top of the pie. Add a dash of cinnamon.
- Place the pie in the refrigerator and allow it to chill for at least one hour before serving. Enjoy!